Anniversary Celebration was Lovely

(This post is being written by Dave.  Cookie has been getting weaker by the day and is now unable to post. I maybe should have started posting for her sooner, but she has really enjoyed being able to communicate honestly and openly for as long as possible.)

Thanks to everyone who attended and/or sent cards for our thirty three and a third anniversary celebration.  Our Sunday School class (Life-Sharing at First Mennonite Newton) did a wonderful job of organizing and serving the meal.  We were able to visit with a broad range of friends and relatives.  Cookie says it was great to see and visit with so many people, she smiles at the mention of the celebration, but she also found it exhausting.

Today she has mostly slept.  After a couple of trips to the toilet and the subsequent exertion, she asked for a catheter which the hospice nurse brought by and my sister, Miriam, inserted.  We have also had to keep bumping up the oxygen settings to maintain her blood oxygen levels.  But she is in good spirits, pain free and surrounded by family.

We aren’t sure if her weakness today is a result of being exhausted by yesterday’s activities or if she truly near the end of her life,  in either case the end will come soon.  Pray that she is able to continue in the grace which has been so abundant for the last 15 months of her illness.

Digiprove sealCopyright secured by Digiprove © 2011 David Wiebe
Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Add to favorites
  • Google Buzz
  • PDF
  • RSS
  • Technorati
This entry was posted in Cancer, Whole-life Stewardship. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Anniversary Celebration was Lovely

1. Judy Crider says:

Dearest Cookie and Dave,
    Yesterday we had our Support Staff picnic (it is Activity Week) and we went to Magra. I chose to walk so left at 8:00 am and reached there by 10:45. All along the way I thought of you. I so enjoyed the walk and the beauty and I wanted to share it with you. The blue sky, the green trees, the spectacular views of the valleys, gullys, steep ravines, the swooping kites (birds), donkeys carrying milk cans, the warm breeze in the sun and cool breeze in the shade. The only thing missing was the spectacular view of the snows – too cloudy that side. I thought of you the whole way and day. We love you both and continue to pray for you. Judy

2. mira says:

Dear Dave,
    Please give Cookie an extra big hug from me. I continue to pray for you both. God be with you both and Abra and her family at this very difficult time.
    Mira

3. Laurie Regehr says:

Dave and Cookie – It was such a privilege to share your anniversary celebration with you. Dave, you did an amazing job putting it together…glad your Sunday School class could help. They were fantastic hosts and hostesses! And, Cookie, it was so wonderful to see you smiling and enjoying all the people who came to celebrate. It was a beautiful combination of celebrating the love you guys have for each other and a celebration of your life — a life VERY well lived. Again, may God be very near now through these difficult days. May both of you know His abiding and unending love for you and may He continue to give you grace and courage to face the days ahead.
    Love you, Cousin Laurie

4. Caprice Becker says:

I habve been waiting for news, not surprised Cookie is exhausted. It sounds like the celebration was worth the consequences, so Way to Go! We do keep you in our prayers–all of you, and especially Dave who has his hands very full.

5. Jerry L Bullard says:

I am so happy that she was able to go to the get together for your anniversary and able to make it through to the end. I Know now that her strength comes from her spirit and am sure her exhaustion is heightened by the days exertion. I do want her to know how much I have appreciated her friendship and her great strength. She has taught me a lot about character and grace and I could have only found a better teacher and friend in Jesus. Thank you Cookie, I love you.

6. Hey you guys – we are praying, and wish we could be there. Love you both, and we are asking that the Lord fill everyone there with grace and joy in the midst of this life situation. Love you guys…

7. Cate Whitcomb says:

Dearest Cookie and David – we love you and are holding you tight in our hearts and prayers. God’s love surrounds you. We read in Revelations this morning one of the most powerful benedictions in the Bible:
    Revelation 21
    21:1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.
    21:2 And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
    21:3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “See, the home of God is among mortals. He will dwell with them; they will be his peoples, and God himself will be with them;
    21:4 he will wipe every tear from their eyes. Death will be no more; mourning and crying and pain will be no more, for the first things have passed away.”
    21:5 And the one who was seated on the throne said, “See, I am making all things new.” Also he said, “Write this, for these words are trustworthy and true.”
    21:6 Then he said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give water as a gift from the spring of the water of life.
    With love,
    Cate and Jack

8. Trina says:

I’m glad to hear from Cookie today as I knew she’d be tired after yesterday. It was an honor to spend time with you both on your 33 1/3 anniversary. Your Sunday School did a lovely job on the celebration. My thoughts are with you every day. Trina

9. Joel and Hilda says:

Our prayers continue for both of you.

10. Lynnette Redington says:

Dave, thank you for the note. Cookie has brought such energy and life to her role at the Health Department (now feeling like it was so long ago) that I feel so blessed to know her. You are a dear husband. Know I have and will continue to pray for both of you.

Lynnette

11. Cindy Unruh says:

Dearest Cookie, I have wanted to tell you how much your friendship and love mean to me. I know that you have enriched many lives and mine is included. As I have read your honest and transparent blogs I have been able to see and face the mortality that we all have to face. I count it an honor to have you as my friend. Your gracious and positive attitude are examples that I want to adopt and mirror in my life. When I bike along the bike path following Sand Creek I look for the beauty and abundant nature that I have seen through your eyes and your camera. I have learned to look at life as art through your eyes. I am grateful to have been a student of yours as you have taught me to see art, nature and life as all precious gifts from God. I admire the water that springs from your spirit from the deep well within your soul. I love you Cookie, I will miss you and look forward to seeing you in Heaven. Your friend, Cindy Unruh

12. Celeste says:

After reading this, I lit two candles in prayer. One for each of you, Cookie and Dave. May God’s love continue to surround you.

Comments are closed.